Thursday, June 21, 2012

Food Diary: 21 June 2012 and the Kind Diet

 This will be the last shot of this particular loaf of bread. Whole wheat bread and honey (220 Cal). I will also look over the fact that the bag said it had 1000 Cal, and I have only accounted for 800 (oops!)



 Banana (90 Cal). Can you see how hard I've been trying to keep the banana shots G-rated?

A concoction of black beans (with cumin and Mrs. Dash Lime Fiesta spice mix), brown rice, extra sharp cheddar cheese, avocado and tomato (480 Cal)

Raisins (45 Cal)

Half of a Kind Cranberry Almond bar (90 Cal). I do not recommend this flavor, especially compared to the others! Bleeggghh...

Krispy Kreme doughnut (200 Cal). And I still have six of these in my freezer! I think I'm going to have to find a way to dispose of these without consuming them!

Raisins and bran cereal. Not Raisin Bran cereal. This is just genius! Instead of eating Raisin Bran, which has raisins coated in sugar and super-sweet bran flakes, I bought Safeway brand bran cereal (120 Cal/cup), added a little box of raisins (45 Cal/.5 oz), and just added skim milk (45 Cal/half cup)! I much prefer the taste (although the flakes are still rather sweet), and I don't feel guilty eating it.

Whole grain Goldfish crackers (140 Cal)

Goldfish s'mores crackers (whole grain, 140 Cal)

Total: 1625 Calories

On a somewhat unrelated note, I've been flipping through The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone (who you may know from the timeless classic, Clueless), which is (in short) a book of vegan propaganda. From a scientific perspective, this woman is an idiot. And a liar. But I think that stems from being an idiot, not from malicious intent. I think my favorite passages so far are:

"Many argue that we're not actually designed to consume much animal flesh.. A carnivore's intestines are only about 6 feet long, because meat isn't meant to hang out in the gut forever. Our intestines are 20 feet long; when we eat meat it takes a full 72 hours to pass through us. That's 3 days, and your body, my friend is 98.6 degrees inside! It's like having a steak sit out in the hot sun for 3 days straight. Eventually it will start to rot and putrefy" (21, nasty food #1: meat).

 "Chew your food extremely well. The more you chew, the more energy you will get from the food and the more satisfied you will feel" (139, tips for quicker weight loss).

"When you think of protein not as meat but as a collection of crazy acids, you realize that each individual creature takes what it needs from the natural world to build its body. In fact, it's downright difficult in our culture to develop a protein deficiency. (The clinical term for the disease of protein deficiency is kwashiorkor-- ever heard of it? Me neither! Doesn't that tell you something?) (59, will I get enough protein without meat?)

Why yes, Alicia. It does tell me something.

1) Average digestion takes 24 to 72 hours, whether or not it's meat. If you were to, say, only eat meat this would probably take longer, because (as Ms. Silverstone proudly tout), meat contains no fiber, and fiber is "the broom of the intestines". I'm fairly certain that the average health-conscious (or not) American does not eat only meat. Either way, after your food is broken down into an acidic liquid in the stomach, it passes through the small intestine for nutrient absorption, and then into the colon for water absorption. And then you poop it out. Not a single step resembles a steak sitting out in the hot sun for three days straight.

2) As mentioned above, the small intestine absorbs nutrients after the food has been broken down in the stomach. Chewing will not give you more energy. A better reason to chew is that it gives you time to feel full you so end up eating less.

3) Nevermind that the first sentence of this passage doesn't make any sense (amino acids are hardly "crazy" and many millions of "creatures" die from not getting what they need from the natural world by starving or nutrient deficiencies), Kwashiorkor is indeed caused by protein deficiency, and is characterized by edema (swelling, as you would see in the belly of a starving child). The name means something like "the disease the comes after the birth of the second child", alluding to the replacement of protein-rich breast milk with a high-starch low-protein diet that is frequently seen in the third world. I learned about this in the single quarter of nutrition I took in college, and it is a legitimate concern.

Despite the fact that the author is an idiot, I'm flirting with the idea of trying a vegan diet for 30 days or so, to see how it affects me. When I was sixteen I spent a year not eating meat, and I wasn't too swayed either way (but honestly, I was compensating with a lot of junk food). I don't eat a lot of meat, but perhaps cutting out dairy would be beneficial and the whole experiment would encourage me to try new foods. I would, however, very much miss salmon nagiri and Greek yogurt.

I'll finish up the animal products in my fridge and see if I'm tempted not to repurchase them.

No comments:

Post a Comment