Thursday, June 14, 2012

Food Diary: 13 June 2012

Oatmeal pancakes with maple syrup (280 Cal)

I may have failed to mention this, but I forgot my camera charger in Seattle. So, since my battery died this evening, I've started using my dSLR (Canon XSi) that I tend to avoid using because it's so bulky and I don't have a macro lens handy. The quality of the images is noticeably better (see oatmeal pancakes, for the recipe), but it'll take some getting used to: for example, I can't hold food and take pictures of it at the same time because this camera requires the attention of both of my arms. I might take it back up with me, though, if I can figure it out.

Also today, I went to the dentist twice (!), so I was very unwilling to move or eat for the first half of the day. To make up for it, though, I cooked! I boiled some black beans and pieced together lunch, and then for dinner I made the oatmeal pancakes I've been craving (even though I'd never tried them before), and they turned out pretty well (although I did need to put the top one, above, back on the stove for another minute as it was a bit undercooked). These are two things I've never made before, and I didn't bother using recipes for either! In fact, I even made my own oat flour in the food processor with steel-cut oats because I couldn't be bothered to go to the store to buy some. It turned out surprisingly well. They are also much more photogenic than my oatmeal that has been refrigerated and reconstituted, see below, although really oatmeal stores very well in the fridge.



Oatmeal with 1/4-c. raisins (240 Cal)

Kind Coconut & Almond bar (210 Cal)

Lunch!

Sesame and Flaxseed tortilla chips (10 chips, 190 Cal)

One cup black beans (seasoned with salt, cumin, cayenne pepper, coriander, ginger, and allspice), with 45g reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (365 Cal)

2 x arugula salads (1 cup baby arugula with 1/3 medium avocado and two small/medium tomatoes), 100 cal each. I don't really like salads, but this was delicious.

 Kind Dark Chocolate Cherry Cashew bar (180 Cal)

Total: 1665 Calories

I was pretty pleased with my healthy cooking ability and am looking forward to picking up some fresh ingredients at Pike Place Public Market when I get back to Seattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment